6/06/2012

Windows 7 File Association - "Open with" problem

| No comments

For certain programs, I have trouble associating it with the file it should open. No matter how many times I try, it just won't show on the Open with dialogue box. Turns out that I had to edit something in the registry to update the program path.

This came about when I moved my executable programs from one directory to another. For some reason, the program path won't update to it's new location when I tried using Open with on my file.

A little searching brought me to this answer, which fortunately worked for me.

The program that you're pointing to isn't registered correctly.

In regedit: Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications and find your .exe name. Navigate under its name to shell>open>command. In the Default change its location to the actual location of the executable, hit okay and then try and reassociate the file type as you normally would.

And while we are at it, you can check out this tutorial on cleaning up your Open with program list.

No comments:

Post a Comment